Friday, January 21, 2011

MTV what have you done to me???

As I sit here writing this I'm laughing at myself thinking of all the things I thought were cool as a impressionable teenager. Just the fact that I'm calling my past self "impressionable" is hilarious, because in my teenage years I argues vigorously against this fact. And that's just that, its a fact that teenagers are impressionable. So why you may ask is this coming up in " Your twenties: the fine print"..? Well it is simple, at some point in your twenties you realize that suddenly you are no longer thinking like a teenager. perhaps that actual act has gone long before the realization.. Maybe your early twenties or maybe your late twenties. It comes with an odd sense of  nostalgia. We all will claim that we were never that "bad" " impressionable"...etc etc...compared to the teenagers of today. I some respects this is true.

The reason why I'm bring this topic up, is I can't believe the new series that is premiering on MTV called SKINS. This show looks like trash and more like a how to guide to become a drug laden promiscuous lying high school-er. MTV claims that the show has some sort of moral to the show because the characters "recognize" what they are doing is wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for self exploration and finding yourself. However, that's what your twenties are for. Not your teenage years where your life can be severely messed up. And regardless of how good of parents one may have bad stuff still can happen. The truth is whatever the child wants to do they will do. So why then is this show serving as a how to guide on becoming a lying, sexually active ( in the most horrible way), drug using person?

And since when does MTV care about the youth of America?...They are simply looking for the easiest way to get viewers. If they were truly trying to do a good deed, they would not have all the trailers glamorizing the behavior... As Arcade Fire sings " MTV what have you done to me"....Am I alone on this one?

3 comments:

  1. I ask "Why?" for the majority of shows on television today. It seems that the programming execs have lost sight of what entertainment on television should represent. All of the reality shows, except my guilty pleasure, Real Housewives of Atlanta, are avoided at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I believe that this new show is doing the exact opposite of what they "claim" to be doing. And I am sorry but MTV would be the last thing on earth for helping the youth of America! Yes, each person is an individual and learns about who they are through their own self discovery and experiences, however I do think that parents and the person's home life plays a major role as well. A family who has strong morals and values is going to do far more for a teenager, than some lame MTV show. Instead, MTV should produce a show that discusses the reality of life like having a career, getting an education, and dealing with finances. But.... that would just make too much sense and be boring, so why would they? haha Instead, lets advocate teen sex, pregnancy, drinking, drugs, parting, and just plan stupidness. Jersey Shore btw, is another complete disgrace! Good article friend! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen/heard of this show before but it sounds horrible. As much as I like TV, shows like this are messing up kids/teens severely. I noticed that I no longer thought like a teenager when, walking through a mall, when I hear a group of teen girls being obnoxious about what ever they found hilarious that day, I pray that I wasn't like that when I was that age. I fear that I was.

    ReplyDelete