Monday, April 11, 2011

Girl Math...and products that makes no sense..

18 graduate High school. add four years and get a degree...by 24 have amazing career and start climbing to the top. Then get married have babies and then live.....



If your wondering where the rest of my sentence is...so am I . At 18 I really had it all figured out. I was going to marry my high school sweetheart. We were going to have babies and then live happily ever after. Blah blah blah. If I had a dime for every time I felt that pang of regret or sadness that reminded me that I was doing nothing according to my plan--well lets just say I'd be on the cover of Forbes magazine.
But I can say,  I know I'm not alone in the world of women who give themselves all of these timelines and deadlines that seem to be as mystical and confusing as calculus. Why is it that we inundate ourselves with such silly timelines?


To some, a timeline or deadline is way to keep yourself on track. Then why do we seem to fall asleep at the wheel?..Some may say we were depressed, others may say we gave up on life. Or many say ( including my father) you got lost in a boy and wasted your life. Whether or not these things are true or false. The important thing is that we feel we "lost" something. This loss can urge us to move forward and achieve things we never thought  that  we could. Ambition is born and we become modern women who know what we want. We want it ALL. We want a thriving career, personal life, children, adventure etc. The only problem in our way is ourselves.

While I understand that as women we may feel a sense of loss over our "Plans" which have gloriously fallen  apart. We can't forget that while plans fell apart, life happened, memories were made, experiences were introduced to us that changed us forever.

 Whatever your destination is, whatever your new formula for your life is,  don't forget that the finish line isn't the only place your going. Your also going to all the places along the way...and that is what life is. We would have nothing if we didn't appreciate the scenes on the sidelines while were running forward.

2 comments:

  1. You definitely can't put a timeline on life. Almost all girls do it! Everything happens at different times for different people. I thought I'd be married by 25. Well, I'll be 25 in 5 months, so that isn't happening. lol It causes more pressure to put such timelines on yourself, you have to just stay positive and strive toa chieve your goals. :) good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of the heart, reminds me of my rainbow collection of must-have drugs! I was surprised to read that you feel so obliged to timelines. I was even more surprised to learn that your goals and aspirations matched my generation's so closely. I would have thought that the fight we (us middle-aged boomer women) gave with the ERA,burning our bras, adopting men-like attitudes regarding sex, would have created a different perspective for women who followed in our wake. My advice sweetie; listen to the music of your own drummer, seek to find your happiness within and most importantly, try to live your life without regret. This is your life, and for those of us fortunate enough to be invited in to share your adventure, we send our thanks.

    ReplyDelete